bzip2 is a freely available, patent free, high-quality data compressor. It typically compresses files to within 10% to 15% of the best available techniques (the PPM family of statistical compressors), whilst being around twice as fast at compression and six times faster at decompression.
(Note that this is a command-line tool, to be run from Terminal.)
This software was distributed by its author under the terms of the GNU GPL. I have not modified the source in any way, and am simply redistributing the binaries, help files, and library files in an Apple .pkg installer.
Note that Mac OS X 10.3 and above come with a previous version of bzip2 pre-installed.
What's new in this version:
Version 1.0.3 (15 Feb 05) fixed some minor bugs since the last version, 1.0.2.
* Further robustification against corrupted compressed data. There are currently no known bitstreams which can cause the decompressor to crash, loop or access memory which does not belong to it. If you are using bzip2 or the library to decompress bitstreams from untrusted sources, an upgrade to 1.0.3 is recommended. This fixes CAN-2005-1260.
* The documentation has been converted to XML, from which html and pdf can be derived.
* Various minor bugs in the documentation have been fixed.
* Fixes for various compilation warnings with newer versions of gcc, and on 64-bit platforms.
* The BZ_NO_STDIO cpp symbol was not properly observed in 1.0.2. This has been fixed.
Version 1.0.4 (20 Dec 06) fixes some minor bugs since the last version, 1.0.3.
* Fix file permissions race problem (CAN-2005-0953).
* Avoid possible segfault in BZ2_bzclose. From Coverity's NetBSD scan.
* 'const'/prototype cleanups in the C code.
* Change default install location to /usr/local, and handle multiple 'make install's without error.
* Sanitise file names more carefully in bzgrep. Fixe...
Operating System Support: Mac OS X 10.4 or higher